Friday, December 14, 2012

Just Like Christmas For Me!


It's official! This week I have started putting together the 'puppy packages'. Part of this process for me is to register the litter. I always wait for two-weeks before registering them just in case.. SO all 6 little cuties are now OFFICIAL members of the AKC! and their paperwork is on it's way!

FUN FLEECE BLANKETS!! Something I have always done for our pups is a blankie and a stuffed toy. I have this theory, if the puppies eat, sleep and live with their blankie & stuffie the entire 6-8 weeks they are in my care it carries the 'smell' of their siblings, what they think of as home and most importantly their mommy. I think going to their new home can be scary and I think as much familiarity we can send  with them the smoother the transition for the puppy. My little girl has always 'helped' me with the puppies. Now that she is older (7) she likes to have more say- so this year she picked the blankets out! Fun, Fun, Fun!!
I think it is important to learn as much as you can about your new family member and their breed. I always include a training book in our package. I read so much before we decided on our first schnauzer and it was so helpful in my potty and kennel training!This year we are trying out a new book with our puppy package.. The one I love is out of print and after hours of searching for it on the Internet found it, but it was back ordered for months..which means it probably would never be delivered.. I looked into this one, I think it too has a lot of useful information, simplified for quick browsing, but very interesting and resourceful if you are like me and always read cover to cover!
And for those puppies that are flying to their new homes.. Once they are 6 weeks old, we separate them into their own kennels. That way it becomes their home. Flying pups is stressful on a little pup! We think flying them in their 'home' with their stinky blankie and chewed toy is such a comfort for them and creates a smoother transition and less stress! Don't worry though.. They get plenty of playtime with us and their siblings in that last two-weeks..  
 
All in all- getting all of this together is fun for me. I know it sounds weird.. But I enjoy doing their photo albums and trying to provide not only a beautiful puppy with quality bloodlines, but a well rounded socialized, loving cuddly puppy.. I thik it helps their new family with the adjustment as well. So for me.. It's just like Christmas!
 
They are 3 weeks old tomorrow! Check back for their updated pictures!!

No comments: